Planada Community Profile - PMZ Real Estate

About Planada

Planada is a census-designated place of 5,000 located 9 miles east of Merced. Among the first white settlers at the place was a group of Swiss dairy farmers, who named the settlement Geneva. The Geneva post office opened in 1896, closed in 1897, re-opened in 1898, and changed its name to Planada in 1911. The name Planada was the product of a contest to rename the town held in 1911.